Wednesday, February 22, 2012

The Day Moses Quit

Have you ever really wanted to quit? I know that I have. We pastors have a joke about Monday morning resignation letters and to be honest I have written a few of those, but have never sent them.

It helps me when I read the Bible and realize that even Moses reached a quitting point. He cried out to God and basically said, “Lord I’m in over my head! I give up!”

God didn't leave him hanging. He responded with specific instructions. Look at what God said:

Numbers 11:16-17
16 Then the LORD said to Moses, “Gather before me seventy men who are recognized as elders and leaders of Israel. Bring them to the Tabernacle to stand there with you. 17 I will come down and talk to you there. I will take some of the Spirit that is upon you, and I will put the Spirit upon them also. They will bear the burden of the people along with you, so you will not have to carry it alone.


Here is what I think God was saying in a nutshell:

1. Find the recognized leaders in your organization.
2. Gather them together before me.
3. I will take the Spirit I have put in you and put it in their hearts.
4. Once that Spirit has been put in their hearts they will share the burden of this work.

Here is what I have to do.

1. I have to continually recognize and raise up leaders to aid in the work. These people cannot just be my friends, but those with a recognized leadership gift.
2. I have to be willing to share the responsibility of ministry and the recognition I get for doing ministry.
3. I must gather with them in God’s presence and share my heart with them. Then I must trust God to birth the same heart in them.
4. I must continually walk with them as a team.

Don't quit, just learn to share the work.

No comments: