Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering Heroes

Today is quite an anniversary isn't it? I remember that day so well. I was in a counseling session in my office and my mother called to say that a plane had flown into one of the World Trade Center towers. As many did I'm sure, I assumed it must have been a small plane that had gone terribly off course.

We went down into the church basement where there was a TV. Just about a minute after we turned on the set, we saw the second plane hit the other tower. Immediately everyone knew something huge had just happened.

I will never forget the sickening feeling of watching those two towers collapse. All of a sudden they were gone.

But there were heroes.

Father Mychal Judge died while ministering to an injured person. He was kneeling down over them when debris hit him and killed him. He died serving.

Also who can forget the firefighters running up the stairs while everyone else was running down? On 9/11/01 we saw the worst parts of evil on display while at the same time seeing God's sacrificial love.

It was a day that we should not and never will forget.



No comments: